For this Application Assignment, you are to write a 3 page paper on the concept of nurses as knowledge workers. Reflect on your own practices. Select one of the following nursing work environments: clinical, education, administration, or research, and describe how nurses manage knowledge in the context of that work environment. I choose Education. Work in an hospital.
Consider how you have managed change in your workflow as a result of using some form of computer-based information technology. Then provide at least one example of an information technology you use today that at one point you previously did not utilize. Summarize how this information technology has impacted your practice of nursing. Discuss how you would use this technology and how this technology could influence your work.
Include an analysis of how this form of information technology impacts the profession of nursing.
1) Early, C., Riha, C., Martin, J., Lowdon, K. W., Harvey, E. M. (2011). Scanning for safety: An integrated approach to improved bar-code medication administration. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 29(3); 157-64.
2) HIMSS Nursing Informatics Awareness Task Force. (2007). An emerging giant: Nursing informatics. Nursing Managemen,. 38(3), 38-42.
3) Huryk, L.A. (2011). Interview with an informaticist. Nursing Management, 42(11), 44–48.
4) Matney, S., Brewster, P. J., Sward, K. A., Cloyes, K. G., Staggers, N. (2011). Philosophical approaches to the nursing informatics data-informatin-knowledge-wisdom framework. Advances in Nursing Science, 34(1), 6-18.
5) Murphy, J. (2011). The nursing informatics workforce: Who are they and what do they do? Nursing Economic$, 29(3), 150–153.
6) Murphy, J. (2010). Nursing informatics: The intersection of nursing, computer, and information sciences. Nursing Economic$, 28(3): 204-7.
Course Text: Hebda, T., & Czar, P. (2013). Handbook of informatics for nurses and healthcare professionals (Laureate Education, custom ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
Chapter 1, “Informatics in the Healthcare Professions”
Course Text: American Nurses Association. (2015). Nursing informatics: Scope and standards of practice (2nd ed.). Silver Spring, MD: Author.
“Introduction” and ” Metastructures, Concepts, and Tools of Nursing Informatics” (pp. 1–18)